Narva Castle Estonia

narva castle estonia

narva castle estonia

The Narva Castle is one of the main attractions of the city. In the seventh decade of the 13th century, the Danes established a castle as a residence for the Danish King’s vice-Regent. The Narva Castle is the most diverse and best preserved defence structure in Estonia.

Peterburi mnt 2, Narva 20308, Estonia. Save. Share. Review Highlights ... The Narva Castle is one of the main attractions of the city. In the seventh decade of the 13th century, the Danes established a castle as a residence for the Danish King’s vice-Regent.

Estonia and Russia.Narva and Ivangorod.Narva Castle and Ivangorod Castle. All of that can be seen in one place, which has been crucial for European history. Two fortresses that are situated right at the Russian-Estonian border, have been changing their owners during the course of history – Denmark, Sweden, Livonian Order, Germany, USSR, Russia and Estonia.

The castle and surrounding town of Narva became a possession of the Livonian Order in 1346, after the Danish king sold its lands in Northern Estonia. In 1492 Ivangorod fortress across the Narva River was established by Ivan III of Moscow .

Narva Castle towers over the Estonian side, while Ivangorod Fortress sprawls across the Russian bank. Between them runs the Narva River, which connects Lake Peipsi to the Gulf of Finland. Historically, whoever controlled the Narva River also controlled the very important trade routes of the Baltic Sea.

Narva Castle (known officially as Hermann Castle) is located in the extreme North-East of Estonia, on the banks of the Narva River. It’s actually closer to St Petersburg than Tallinn, but today it is very much Estonian.

It feels like a breath of history to visit Narva Castle. The castle is very authentic and respectfully restored. From this Esonian castle you can look into Russia and the russian Castle Ivangorod.

As for the history of Narva castle, it is important to note that Narva castle was a stimulus for the development of Narva town since the settlement started evolving fast once the castle was built and soon grew into a solid town.

Hermann Castle (also Hermannsfeste, Herman Castle, Narva Castle, and Narva fortress. (Estonian: Hermanni linnus) is a castle in Narva, eastern Estonia. It was founded in 1256 by the Danes and the first stone castle was built in the beginning of the 14th century.

Estonia’s easternmost town boasts the best preserved castle (Hermann Fortress) overlooking a large, winding river acting as a border between Estonia and Russia. The nearby Narva-Jõesuu resort is dotted with spas and a large sandy beach that draws in holiday makers every summer.

Narva Castle Estonia Pictures